Monday, November 2, 2015

The Beard



Over the course of my adult life, I have had a moustache (did not really look good), a ponytail (did Locks of Love with my daughter), a full beard (which never grew in full) and, at various times, a goatee (lot of maintenance).  This last time that I dabbled in facial growth was to be in solidarity with a friend whose fiancĂ© wanted him to be clean-shaven for their wedding.  Along with another friend, we realized that his beard was really a part of him and we agreed that we should all have beards for the wedding.  While we might have envisioned ourselves as modern Three Musketeers, our threesome names were more along the lines of Moe, Larry and Curly.

I am not really sure why I grew the beard the previous time.  It might have something to do with the loss of the longer hair.  I reached a point in my life where I wanted to look a little more grown up, a little more responsible, and nearing the 50 year mark in my life, look more my age.  I not only got rid of the facial hair, but also cut my hair shorter and began to look more professional.  Beards, or moustaches, are not unusual today in business, but, I am not 100% certain it was for me.  Maybe it is a rebel thing?  Maybe it is out of curiosity?  Maybe it is just because I can? 

Truth be told, while most people seem to either not mind the goatee, or like my family, do not like my beard.  My brothers have asked me many times “why try to cultivate something on your face that grows so freely on your behind?” and other less appropriate commentaries.  Debbie says it looks “nice” but do not get too close.  On visiting day, both Gab and Bec said, “You still got that thing?”  Every day, I either have to trim the whole thing, shape it when I shave or cut away errant hairs (which as I get older, I begin to realize hair growth in places I do not want anyway).  It is time, to once again, make the decision that as my beard sings the refrain from The Clash song, “Should I Stay or Should I Go?”

What is your opinion on whether or not I should keep it?  Find out next week what I decided to do…

No comments:

Post a Comment